If you’re in the greater Philly/Central NJ or South NJ areas, next week presents 2 opportunities to ask hundreds of college admissions officers your questions about applying to and attending their schools.
Philadelphia National College Fair
Pennsylvania Convention Center
Sunday, November 10
Atlantic City National College Fair
Atlantic City Convention Center
Thursday, November 14
9am-noon and 6 pm-9 pm
Workshops on college athletics, financing, essay writing/letters of recommendation, the Educational Opportunity Fund, application process
These fairs are BIG. To make the best use of your time, I suggest
- Check the “list of colleges attending” to narrow your focus to 10 schools
- Do some research to find out the basics on schools of interest (e.g. school size, majors offered, admit rate)
- Prepare a short list of questions to ask each admissions officer. These should be questions that aren’t already answered on the school’s website. Two questions I like to ask are: What type of student is successful at your college? and What credentials do you want to see from homeschooled applicants?
- Check the list of workshop times and remember to allow time to attend any workshops of interest
- When you get to the fair, plot out the locations of each school of interest and take the most efficient route
- Take notes!
- Consider registering in advance
- For more college fair tips, visit the National Association for College Admission Counseling website